Saturday, January 23, 2010

Foggy Buddha and Lost Pants

sweet tofu. so silky delicious and warm!










there are many neon-lighted brothels with tiny stairways with liaisons sitting there at night to make deals. really sad to see.





Dear family and friends,

It's been a while since I've been back in Hong Kong from Taipei. I've been staying here in Kowloon, near Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui. It is very lively here with daily night fairs and markets, all with unique products, such as the popular fish street (bags and bags of golfish hanging from booths), Temple street (with rows and rows of fortune tellers, palm readers, and stands selling tons of "adult" toys (imagine haggling for that!)), bird markets, ladies' market, flower market, and etc. We usually walk through different night markets every day, and although abundant, lacks the nature of my now-beloved Taiwan street fairs and mouth-watering snacks.

I've also been finally performing research here, and have many appointments and tours set up with city officials and local farmers. This weekend was the annual Farmfest with a huge gathering of organic farmers selling their products (dried fish, anyone?) Tomorrow I am going to a big organic farmer's market in Central, and volunteering there to experience the set up and organic farm practices here in Hong Kong.

Today Fay and I went to Lantau Island, where the infamous huge, bronze Buddha sits on top of the mountains. We took a sky-cable-car ride above the hills and trees to a village at the base of the Buddha and Po Lin Monastary. Unbeknownst to us, we arrived there in one of the foggiest days since we've been here! So the entire trip lacked clear views, and I could barely see 15 feet in front of me! But the Buddha and his greatness were still witnessed, and I have foggy photos to prove it!

I have been doing some retail-therapy here as well...and since I forgot two pairs of pants at the Taipei hostel, I had to buy more! The jeans here are tailored to your desired length for free right at the store, so that was super convenient and nice, although I highly doubt I would wear those pants again back in the states. You know how low-rise jeans are common in the U.S. and barely reach your hip bone? Well, here it is the complete opposite and I found the distance between the crotch of the jeans to the end of the zipper to be ridiculously long, but surprisingly comfortable! But like I said, not going to be wearing those back home.

I've been receiving positive news and contacts on some Bogota research opportunities once I'm in Colombia in March, so I am already a bit frazzled by all that I have to do here, and all that I need to plan to do in Colombia! And then there's the in-between trip to Thailand to meet my sister Janny! Ah que loco!!!

Fay is leaving on Thursday, and then I will be here for another week. I will be staying in Kowloon until I leave for Phuket.

I miss family and friends. I love you all and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment