Thursday, January 14, 2010

What's that fruit? What about that one over there? And THAT one??

a really fat cat on the entrance way to a little pet store in north point.

the skyline of the kowloon side as seen from Wan Chai.

finally catching a glimpse of the water! it has a definite calming effect on me.

the chef's sampler salad plate for lunch in SoHo.

alley way of goods.

fish cake/ball noodle soup. quite tasty.

a late night dessert of tong yuen (glutinous rice balls with black sesame paste and peanut inside).

ride porridge with fish. mmm this was good!

the view from my hostel room! very vibrant.


Hello family and friends,

I've arrived in "Fragrant Harbor," or more commonly known as Hong Kong to the lowly commoner. I arrived yesterday morning, and spent the day exploring North Point, a neighborhood on Hong Kong Island before meeting up with my cousin Fay who will be in Hong Kong for the next couple of weeks with me. This is the first time I am not solo traveling for a long period or for research, so it will be quite a different experience. I truly cherish wandering and exploring different cultures and cities alone, so it is always a challenge to balance that with a fellow companion who has different priorities and a different traveling style. That said, I am optimistic about our short time together before I am left on my own once again to further my research in the New Terriroties in northern Hong Kong!

Walking through the insanely busy, chaotic streets, my senses are often assaulted from left and right with unique sights, smells, and sounds. I am on a stimulation overload, and sounds of the never-slowing street life has become the backdrop of my life here. This trip thus far has been strange because, being Chinese-American, I do not feel natural here, and even though I can comprehend what people here are saying, I feel disassociated with the culture and context. No doubt I feel like a traveler, and from the stares I've been receiving, I'm not the only one who thinks so!

Today I was able to explore Central and Wan Chai, other busy sectors on Hong Kong Island. The quaint, busy alleyways were filled with local vendors with dozens of fruits and vegetables that aren't commonly found in the U.S. It was a great experience, and my calves got a great workout from those hilly landscapes! And Fay and I ate a lot. A LOT. Snacks here and there, such as delicious shumai's-on-a-stick that had us going back for more, or boba drinks with "white pearls." I'm going to pace myself or I'm going to have to be rolled home as cargo.

A couple more days on Hong Kong Island before heading to Taiwan for 3 days! I'm spending the next couple of days orienting myself to a new city, but I need to get a-crackin' on my research. So far I've discovered a vast array of organic farming, farmers' markets, and NT farming that I plan to uncover further and research. But research involves a lot of aimlessness until certain bouts of success, so I'm not concerned yet.

Wish I could write more, but the combination of walking all day and being jet-lagged makes a mamie tired. I thought I was going to be able to post every day and make it a detailed traveler's journal, but with the last couple of days of going out morning til dark, that ain't gonna happen for now!

Adieu!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! love those food photos :)
    hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW EXCITING! call me whenever (even though you're probably super busy) and i am still jealous, haha. <3

    ReplyDelete