Thursday, February 4, 2010

I'm slowly, but surely, melting in thailand


Dear family and friends,

I can't believe it's been a week since I've last written. I stopped taking so many photos, and oohing and ahhing over every fascinating Hong Kong marvel. I think that is when one truly feels a part of a people and a culture--when you stop viewing everything from a glass window, but find yourself happily on the other side one day! After three weeks there, and doing and seeing so darn much and exploring different corners of the place, I truly feel comfortable and calm there, yes, even amidst the chaotic streetscape and sharp elbows.

Last night I arrived in Phuket, an island in southern Thailand that's one of the more touristy sites known for its beaches. I arrived near midnight, and once I got outside the airport, was not only bombarded by the hot, wet heat, but by swarms of men crowding and yelling "taxi, taxi, taxi!! where you go???" at me! Then I spotted my beautiful sister Janny who had trekked all the way out of town to wait for me at the airport! It was a blissful moment, since she has been traveling in New Zealand, Austrailia, and Malaysia for the past 6 months before meeting me in Phuket! We will be traveling for about two and a half weeks before I head back to Hong Kong, and she to conquer other realms on Earth.

Today we relaxed and traveled to the beaches on these small trucks with two rows of seating in the back, and it was quite a fun experience zooming through the city and mountains on the back of these rickety contraptions! We did the usual lounging, wading in warm water, drinking mango and pineapple concoctions, etc. On our way back to town we also walked through a street market with..you guessed it- street food! But there was also such a huge variety of fruit that it's mind-blowing. I've learned that when words are not possible, a smile works just as well as a form of communication, or question, or whatever you want it to mean. We bought several varieties to try, and sadly I had to forgo the durian stand! There will be many more chances up ahead, I know. Plenty more chances to annoy Janny with the horrible, toxic-like aroma of durian fruit!

Tomorrow we're leaving Phuket and heading up along the coast, then we're going to head to Bangkok and Chiang Mai for the next couple of weeks. We hope to do some amazing snorkeling off of an island to the west of the coast tomorrow or the next day!

Here are some last photos of Hong Kong and some new ones of this new country I'm in! It's a different experience here because I've never traveled in a country where I honestly don't know even ONE SINGLE WORD of the locals' language. Language and communication is such a key aspect of a culture that so much is lost in translation, and I feel that without that key, one cannot completely immerse themselves wholeheartedly into their surroundings, no matter how much they try. But I'm beginning to learn simple phrases like thank you and hello/bye.

I miss home and everyone, but look forward to exploring Thailand! Cheers.




deep-fried steamed milk with a date honey sauce. it was so strange, yet really creamy and delicious.


my new friend Kitty who's amazing and showed me some pretty cool places!


a lady shucking shallots for a seafood restaurant in Sai Kung.





at a strawberry farm with Ian! next time I go back, I'm going to pick a basketful of those perfect berries!



Phuket night market: grilled fish and an assortment of other goods.




1 comment: