Thursday, February 11, 2010

Phuket to Koraburi to Ko Surin to Bangkok to Chiang Mai!




Dear family and friends,

It's been about a week in Thailand, but it feels so much longer than that!! We started out in Phuket (near the very south of Thailand), then took a bus up the coast to Kuraburi, which is the launching town to Ko Surin, which is world-class snorkeling about 60 miles off the Thai coast. It was amazing--crystal blue waters, extensive fishes and corals, island natives, snorkeling between, among, and within groups of tropical animals in the Andaman Sea, and cute Thai guides! We rented a tent right on the beach, and at night gazed up into the breath-taking stars and galaxies. Wow. It just overwhelms and astonishes me when I gaze into the sky and see the trillions of glowing lights against the backdrop of a perfectly black night. That and coupled with being right on the beach, I just can't explain it with words the feeling I get. It was a very serene, and meaningful time at Surin Island, and one I will likely not forget for a long while. I was sad to go!

But alas we did, and from Karaburi took a 9 hr bus ride into Bangkok, the capital of Thailand!! We stayed right off the river which we used every day for transportation--the river is so beautiful and powerful (and dirty!) We explored Bangkok's Chinatown, The Grand Palace, Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha), Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Shopping, and much more, but of course, my personal favorite--sampling the cuisine of the locals! It was a fun, fast-paced few days.

Yesterday we took a train up from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, the northern region of Thailand known for its delicious food and laid-back lifestyle. We're chilling here in Chiang Mai for another few days, and today was our first full day here. Riding on the overnight sleeper train into Chiang Mai was a unique experience, and I got my own bottom bunk bed and got to see Thailand's northern countryside rolling by in the morning. We'll be here in Chiang Mai, specifically, inside the old city centre (surrounded by a moat), for another few days. We just got back from the huge night/street market, and bought a few trinkets, because quite frankly, who can resist?? There seems to be a certain style associated with a lot of backpackers and travelers consisting of aladdin/parachute/mc hammer pants which are incredibly comfortable and come in so many different shapes and colors, and a large fabric sling bag as a purse (this outfit is for females, of course). I enjoy the more relaxed, comfortable, hippie look which I am beginning to slightly adapt to and someone may have to slap it outta me when I get home!!

I love Thailand! The people here are incredibly friendly, with everyone on the street seeming to want to know where you're going! Also, when we answer that we're from America when they ask where we're from, usually locals are shocked and giggly. Then of course we have to explain we're Chinese-American, so they don't assume we're either liars or blondes with dyed black hair. The food is so inexpensive and plentiful. I drinks tons of fruit shakes a day--papaya, watermelon, banana, you name the fruit, they have it! I also love green curry and drinking young coconuts. For example, we had dinner today of northern curry noodles and wonton noodles, and the steaming, delicious bowls cost 30 baht each, which is slightly less than 1 US Dollar! I can definitely see myself returning to Thailand in the future, as so many travelers seem to do, since I now understand what a great culture and landscape this all adds up to be. I hope you enjoy some of my photos from my time in Thailand, and I miss you all.

Love,
Mamie



curry noodles
wonton noodlesbanana, chocolate rotee sold on the streets

enjoying some jelly shaved ice during a hot, sunny day!

food market outside one of the river boat stops in Bangkok.

Just one of the many, many fancy structures within the Grand Palace, where the royal family's rule reigns in Bangkok.

Sunset over the Chao Praya River in
fried bugs, worms, and scorpions in Bangkok!!

mother-of-pearl designs on the bottom of the reclining Buddha's feet!





KO SURIN!!!


the village of the Mokken people whose homes were destroyed by the Tsunami, but was later rebuilt on the beach again.


No comments:

Post a Comment