Sunday, March 7, 2010

Colombian BBQ in Good Company

Hello family and friends,

Bogota has become less and less intimidating over the past week, and I am beginning to enjoy my time here a lot more. There was a huge bus strike during the week so transportation was a bit chaotic, so my research was a no-go, but I've definitely become an expert on Colombian history, art, and iglesias while visiting so many grand sites and walking around the city. Oh, regarding the comment I made last time that the police look incredibly young, WELL, I found out that in Colombia it is mandatory for boys after high school to serve in the police force for 1-2 years! Thus they ARE like 16-year-olds, or a couple years older.

Today was a wonderful day so I'll begin with that. I woke up, as usual in the morning, ate cereal with delicious Colombian whole milk, and left my apartmento. I walked across the city center and towards north Bogota to a new friend, Isabel's, apartment to have lunch with her and her husband. When I got there, though, she was not at home, so in the same apartment complex I called on Beiky, my new and wonderful couchsurfing friend. She's good friends with Isabella, and that's how we met. Well, Beiky couldn't find Isabella, but she asked if I'd like to go with her, Jason (her awesome husband), and newborn baby to her family's house for a traditional Colombian BBQ in Bosa, a district in the extreme southwest of the city, about a 45 mins taxi ride away. It sounded really fun so I decided to join them. This is what I like about Colombia--it is SO go-with-the-flow attitude minded. People are always late, but there's no animosity, and even if people break off engagements you simply jump onto another ship that's sailing and everything turns out wonderful no matter what!

So we all head on a taxi down to Bosa, and I am able to see the entire range of Bogota. It really is a huge city, with sprawling outskirts, like Bosa. Bosa is a poorer neighborhood with a lot of public housing and such, but when we arrived I found it incredibly lively and so different from the city center hub that I had gotten used to for the past few days. We meandered through the dirt roads and street and arrived at her cousin's house, in which we were immediately adorably assaulted by her four cute children plus some more cute cousins. It was kids galore and they were all sooo incredibly cute!! The oldest of them, at age 10, engaged me all day in his brokan English because he really was so curious about me and wanted to learn. At the end he asked his mom if he could go back to California with me. haha!

So of course in most traditional households, there were women scurrying around fixing up the delicious food, and the men were on the terrace with the fire pit and the children were running around and playing. I got to practice my Spanish all day (since Beiky is the only one who speaks English) and when she wasn't there to translate, all her family and I got along, if in a comical way. I ate tons of guacamole, grilled corn, carne asada, grilled plaintains, grilled intestines (which I thought I'd try, but ended up gagging a bit when I bit into it and liquidly stuff exploded in my mouth). We sat merrily eating, chatting, relaxing, and laughing, and it was a very special day. They were very curious about China, the U.S., other places I've traveled, what I'm doing in Colombia, etc etc. The men seemed to be very concerned that I was traveling alone in Colombia, more so than the women! haha. Beiky's uncle and husband showed me a bit around town as well. At the end of the day some of us walked around and ate ice cream. Perfect day.

I'm leaving Bogota in about 6 days, and will be heading up to La Cuidad Perdida (The Lost City) and doing a 6-day trek into the jungle and mountains to find the lost city. In 2003 a group of trekkers were kidnapped by the FARC (the drug guerrilla group operating in the jungle) but the trek has become a lot safer, so don't worry. There are about 60 young and bored Colombian army guys serving their duty at the very remote site of the Lost City, so I'm sure they would be delighted to use their grenades and firearms if the need arises. I think it will be a once in a lifetime experience, and I look forward it, even if I'll be sleeping in hammocks and not showering for like 6 days, and being one with the jungle (snakes, ticks, and all!)

P.S. Can I just say how much I love the Colombian way of greeting with a hug and a kiss?? It's so personal and there is just something a bit cold and detached about the U.S. handshake and/or butt-out, only-shoulders hug!

Until next time...Cheers!

mamie



The streets of Bosa. Reminds me of a more traditional, slower town scene.

A couple of the adorable kids, and Beiky!

From the rooftop where we were BBQing!




Beiky's 2-month old baby. Look at how he sleeps!! The most calm, serene baby ever. Never a peep, and he sleeps all the time.

On Sundays the main streets of downtown Bogota shut out cars for walkers, bikers, and joggers!

I spend a lot of time in cafes, and this slice of apple tart was delicioso.

A group of strikers barreling down the main street. There were tons of policemen there with barricades and shields (scene from 300, anyone?)

1 comment: