Thursday, March 25, 2010

Four Days of Beauty and Heat in Cartagena






Dear family and friends,

I'm finally back in Bogota after spending about four days in Cartagena, the crown jewel of the Caribbean in Colombia! I stayed in the working-class district called Getesmani, and it was really close to the historic city center that is walled by a stone fortress. Imagine picturesque cobbled-stone walkways lined with colorful buildings with bougainvilleas wrapping around their beautiful balconies. It's like a maze of indefinite possibilities, filled with breath-taking churches and plazas. Traditional dancing took place every night there in the plaza that used to be the main slave-trading center of the city. Cartagena is filled with a history of sieges, pirates looting Spanish goods, castles built as fortresses, beaches, and local vendors selling all types of crafts. Yes, it was filled with a romantic, "Love in the Time of Cholera" (which was filmed here by the way) atmosphere that I fell in love with, and if not for the burning heat, I would wish to stay forever.

I spent a lot of time exploring the old city center and with local Couchsurfers and people from my hostal. I had the most incredible time there!! I've had experiences that I know will stay with me all my life, and I realize that this is what traveling is all about-- experiencing things and meeting people that you will treasure and keep in touch with for a long while, and hope to see again.

There are photos on my facebook of my wonderful time in Colombia all in a neat package, including Cartagena, and here is the link, in case you're not a part of facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2609259&id=1228717&l=44d3386e34

Good ole' States, here I come back to you again, and with changed views and new perceptions, I know I can accomplish for myself something meaningful and fulfilling in my future endeavors.

Thank you all for viewing my blog from time to time, and don't be fooled--I will be back traveling very soon!!!

Mamie

No comments:

Post a Comment