Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I couldn't get enough oxygen here for 2 days!

Dear family and friends,

It's at 9000 feet elevation, there is a galore of fresh tropical fruits here, the temperature bounces from cold to freezing wet and then back to cold again, and I'm living right next to the jutting Monserrate mountains. That's right--I have arrived to BOGOTA, COLOMBIA!

It is not at all what I expected, but the odd thing is, I have no idea what my expectations were! I just get this feeling that the atmosphere and environment is nothing I've experienced before, and is unlike anywhere I've been, thus I could not have imagined anything like this even if I had tried. I am staying in La Candelaria, which is the historic city center, and where most of the main attractions are. It's super busy and very metropolitan in some areas. Yet Bogota cannot be defined because it is a city of contradictions. You can experience the modern cityscape, yet feel as if you stepped into a rural landscape at the same time. You can walk past the grandiose Presidential palace, aka Casa de Narino, and a couple of blocks later be in a maze of cobble-stoned, ancient walkways that seem to spring from the Renaissance era. A bit further down, and you'll be fighting amidst hoards of pedestrians and people holding up signs for you to use their cell phone minutes for a small fee!

I am very thankful to have some knowledge of Spanish, though, which is a far cry from Thailand! It definitely helps to be able to read things, order from the menu, and ask questions (but then not understand responses) Understanding rapidly spoken Spanish is a completely different story. Thank goodness I have an effective blank stare that is direct and allows others to see my confusion immediately. I spent a nice day today doing yoga and dining with new friends, and they tried to help me improve my Spanish, which is well appreciated.

I'm renting a furnished room in a nice apartment near the city center. It's run by a nice couple (with no knowledge of English) who live a few blocks away but one of them is here 24/7 to let us (the renters) in and out of the building. They have a small child who comes to "guard" the apartment sometimes, and she is very chatty and cute. Sucks to not be able to communicate, because for those of you who know me, I adore children!!

The only downside here in Bogota is that this week there is a huge bus strike in the city, and things are very chaotic with transportation. Hoards of policeman are scattered throughout the plazas and downtown areas. And a lot of them look like they're 16 years old...i'm jus sayin.

I hope to have some time at the end of my stay in Colombia to visit Medellin and Cartagena as well!! I am very thankful to be alive right now, and send warm hugs and kisses to my loved ones at home!!

mamie


on monserrate

the church of the fallen christ
bogota in all it's glory, rain and all!
museo del oro which houses soo much gold it's mind-boggling! but as my tour guide said, back then gold had no money value whatsoever.
my first hot chocolate con queso. you break up the cheese and put it in there and then spoon it out to eat. it's pretty tasty; i have it every day now.


fried fish. the pickled salad was delicious, and the rice so rich and flavorful!!
the main plaza, and see the building with the giant ants crawling all over it? that is so cool, and shows that architecture can be fun AND functional!

No comments:

Post a Comment