Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Southlands Farm

Hello family and friends!

It's been a while since I last posted. Since then, I've traveled around Vancouver to Bowen Island and to UBC Farm before coming here to Southlands Farm, a farm tucked away on the outskirts of the city center owned and managed by a family, the Maynards. One of the sons, Jordan, is showing me around and I'm basically helping them out with whatever is needed. I've washed pumpkins, climbed ladders to pick apples, made signs for their pumpkin patch for kids, helped build a cider press, and much more.

I enjoy it here. There are a lot of people coming in and out of the farm. They also own a tack store, and a riding center (they have 4 horses out back). I basically trail Jordan all day and he gives me things to do and asks me for help in design ideas for their new apple orchard, and he answers questions I have on my research. All in all, I feel nicely tucked away in a hidden corner of the world where I am placed in a family that hardly notices when a new person comes to volunteer with them for a few days because it's so common. I'm basically WOOFing (Working on Organic Farms).

Tonight I'm going to a haunted house with Jordan and some friends. He said that later we'll just "ride there." For those who don't know me, I don't know how to ride a bike. Sad and embarrassing, but nonetheless, true. So I had to tell this poor guy and so he immediately gives me a scooter and tells me to go practice since his theory is that whoever can use a scooter can also ride a bike. So for the past couple of hours I've been practicing on a scooter and gotten pretty good, until an old man drove by and waved at me and I waved back and that was when my whole body fell off the scooter and onto the road. Pretty embarrassing when the old man had to slow down next to me and ask if I was alright. That ended my lesson for today. Now is considered "time before dinner when I can read, go on the computer, or sit around," and is the most relaxing part of the day.

Sorry, no time for photos, but will make it up next post. I miss California and all those in it that I love. Ciao.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha, u falling off the scooter reminds me of that one time when i was the treadmill and you went up to talk to me. and i almost fell and died.
    so glad you're have fun! <3

    ReplyDelete